EGA Packaging Services
The wine packaging operation commenced in the 1980s when the Hunter Valley Wine Society commenced a system of sending mixed cases of wines to members on a quarterly basis. EGA was contracted to pack these mixed cases and as the membership of the Wine Society grew so did the packaging business.
In 1993 EGA purchased land in Cessnock Street, and an 883m² warehouse building was constructed to house the wine packaging business.
In 1999 another 300m² building was erected on the site as the Wine Society (by then called Australian Wine Selectors) business continued to grow and the decision was made to base their total receive and distribution operation at Cessnock. In 2003 the wine packaging operations moved to a larger premises in order to accommodate what is today a flourishing business packing over 1500 cartons of wine every workday.
Considerable improvements to the facilities have been made over the years and Wine Selectors and EGA run dual operations from the site in a sound and mutually beneficial relationship. EGA continues to look for more efficient and inventive ways to pack the wine and the environment is both positive and rewarding in both a support and commercial sense.
The site employs over 35 supported employees on both a permanent and part-time basis. The partnership between Wine Selectors and EGA is a great example of a valuable, mutually beneficial relationship between a not for profit community organisation and a highly successful commercial operation.